Thursday, February 25, 2010

the best soft gingersnap cookies

I love these cookies with a glass of cold milk. Ah! I probably make them every 2-3 weeks. The best part of these cookies, aside from the flavor and the softness, is how easy they are. I can make a whole batch while Nathaniel is asleep without batting an eye. They're even fast enough that if he's awake, I can usually get them made up and in the oven before he starts fussing. You throw everything in the same bowl, mix, add a little more flour and you're ready to put them on the cookie sheet.

I probably also love these because I have a nostalgic, good memory associated with these cookies. After I had Thanny, my mom came out to visit. I wanted something sweet (being a mom has given me a killer sweet tooth) and she offered to make me peanut butter cookies. But on the same page of the Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book were gingersnaps. I wanted those instead. And she made them for me. My first comment when she came back downstairs was: "They're done already?" Then I went and ate one...then two...then three and came down raving. My sweet mom took care of me as I took care of Nathaniel. Thanks mom.



Gingersnaps

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup shortenig
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup sugar to roll the cookies in

In a mixing bowl, combine about half of the flour, brown sugar, shortening, molasses, egg, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Beat with electric mixer on medium-high speed until thoroughly combined. Beat in remaining flour. (This will be a thick, stiff dough)

Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll in sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 8-9 minutes until set and tops are crackled. (I cook them 8 exactly- they're soft but set up a little more on cooling.) Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment