Friday, March 12, 2010

Homemade Refried Beans and Spanish Rice


Sorry that the pictures aren't great. I've been using my phone-my camera is dead.

We had enchiladas, Spanish rice, and homemade refried beans for dinner this week. It was so good! The enchiladas are pretty typical so I am not going to include the recipe. Plus I am kind of over these enchiladas right now, so I want to try something new next time.

I've never really "made" beans. We love refried black beans so when I saw this recipe I decided to try it. I got the recipe off my friends blog. You can get it here. I accidentally put a little too much garlic (didn't think that was possible) and I would suggest adding a little salt. Other than that, they were delish!

I use the Betty Crocker Spanish rice recipe. So far it has turned out everytime I have made it.

Spanish Rice
2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 cup uncooked regular long-grain rice
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 small green pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce

Heat oil in 10 inch skillet over medium heat. Cook rice and onion in oil about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until rice is golden brown and onion is tender (it usually takes like 8 minutes for me). Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender.

Super tasty!



When I make these things together again, I would only use one onion for both recipes. I used a medium onion for each, but it was a little too much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment