Sunday, July 11, 2010

Roman Blinds

I finally got E's roman shade up! It turned out very cute (as long as you don't notice that it is not sitting quite straight). I used a tutorial in an old Sunset drapery book my mom has. You can tell the book was made in the 70's! I didn't want to type up all the directions (there are a lot) so I am linking to a lady who already did.

http://jenduncan.typepad.com/whats_new/2008/11/roman-blind-tutorial-in-20-pictures-or-less.html

A few things:

Her blinds are pretty small so she only use 2 columns of rings. I suggest 3-4 columns.

I did not use brass rings. If you are only making one shade, individual rings are way cheaper and look more professional. If you are making many shades, get the ring tape. It's worth the money when you don't want to spend literally HOURS sewing on each individual ring.

I didn't use a metal rod. I used a dowel. So much cheaper.

Her directions are a little different. Mine has some crazy hems going on. I think mine look better but hers look loads easier. Plus, no one sees the back (usually)!

I am no seamstress (although I am a lot better than I was last week) and mine turned out pretty good. Don't be intimidated! BUT, do be prepared to spend more than you think. For all my shades (I did one in E's room and I am doing 4 for the living room/kitchen area) it would have been cheaper to buy them. Not as cute, but cheaper. And that is why I did it. Oh well. At least they are snazzy.


So without further ado, I give you my first roman shade! (And first REAL sewing all by myself, with only 1 use of the seam ripper):



(sorry about the picture quality)

3 comments:

  1. It looks great! I love that style of window treatment. I've never been brave enough to try it myself though. I love the fabric you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! One tip is I would use a heavier fabric. The ones I made for the living room are significantly lighter in weight and didn't work as well. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! My friend just needed instructions on how to make these and I sent her the same tutorial!

    ReplyDelete