Friday, March 12, 2010

Beef and Broccoli

I made beef and broccoli for dinner last night. The picture does not do it justice. This is a picture of the cold leftovers that were in the fridge overnight. This picture is also "beef heavy" as there were more veggies when it was all in the skillet. Anyway, this tasted like the chinese restaurant- only 10x better. I also would have served it over brown rice but I was out.

I doubled-ish the recipe. I doubled the sauces but the beef and veggies weren't quite doubled I don't think- I was expecting more people to eat last night + Andrew and I live off of left overs so I made more on purpose.

Here are the ingredients:

1/2 lb steak
1 T cornstarch
4 T soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 clove of garlic minced
1 lb. broccoli
1 1/4 c water (I honestly didn't remember this when I made it and eye balled adding water on my own as I went)
4 tsp cornstarch
3 T vegetable oil
1/2 c. thin sliced carrot

Plus I also added to the recipe on my own to help get the beef more tender:
a few squeezes from half a lime
about 1/2- 1 T rice vinegar

1. Cut the beef into slices. (I cut mine probably 2 x as thick as they do it at the restaurant)

2. Combine sugar, ginger, garlic, 1 T soy, 1 T cornstarch, rice vinegar, and lime juice in a bowl and mix together. Add the beef, cover and let sit. (I let mine sit for about an hour)

3. Cut veggies and place aside.

4. Combine 4 tsp. cornstarch and 3 T soy in a bowl and set aside.

5. Heat oil. Add beef and stir fry 1-2 minutes. Add the veggies and stir fry. Add water as needed so nothing burns up in the pan.

6. I broke with the recipe here- I stir fried until the veggies were still crisp (crisper than you want to eat them) and added the soy mixture. I cooked the sauce with the beef/veggies until the sauce thickened and bubbled a bit.

7. Then I pulled the pan off of the heat and placed a lid over top. The veggies steamed the rest of the way and it helped keep the meat tender (often my meat gets a little over cooked in stir fry and this worked like a charm).

8. Serve over rice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment