Saturday, March 13, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Biscotti


Today it is snowing. In honor (or abhorrence) of the snowy day, I decided to make some biscotti to go with a mug of hot chocolate. Andrew had to work in the Burn Unit today, so I know he'll be excited to come home to a couple of these.

Biscotti Recipe

1/2 cup butter or margarine, soft
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (today I used 1/4 tsp)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl. beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, until blended.

Combine flour and next 3 ingredients. Add to butter mixture, stirring until blended. Fold in chocolate chips (and nuts if using).


Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a 10 x 2 " log on a lightly greased baking sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes (I did 20 in my oven today) or until firm. Let cool 5 minutes on sheet. Remove to racks.


Cut each log diagonally with long knife. (It says to use a long serrated, but I thought that the sawing tore up the cookies a bit so I just cleanly cut downward with a regular knife.) Place slices on an ungreased cookie sheet.


Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn cookies over and bake another 8-9 minutes. Remove and cool on wire racks.


Today I shortened the first cook time to 20 minutes, the second cook time to 8 and the third to 9. I wanted to see how they did as a little less crisp than they usually are. They were pretty good. I like them both ways. More and less crisp are both good.

No comments:

Post a Comment