Sunday, February 14, 2010

Shortbread Chocolate Pie-lettes

This was my valentines treat to Andrew!

This recipe was a disaster making because I kept getting distracted, had bad timing and was in a big rush- but turned out ok- even better than ok. They are even really tasty! A few tips:

#1- Stir the filling on the stove constantly. Duh. I know this one! It only took 30 seconds to go from nothing to clump. I got distracted reading a page in my book while I waited. The story: I made the chocolate filling and got really antsy waiting for it to thicken so I turned up the heat a little more (which would have been fine) without stirring the WHOLE time and it started to clump. I had some little clumps... but you couldn't tell in the tiny tarts. And I threw the rest away since it wouldn't be good to eat on its own with clumps. The cookie covers it.

#2: Put the filling in a bowl and place that bowl in an ice water bath while stirring CONSTANTLY if you need it to cool faster.

#3: I did this one and it was great. Put the cooled filling into a sandwich bag and pipe it in.




.




Shortbread Crust (makes 32 little pies)

1 c. butter at room temperature
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
11/2 c flour
2 Tbl. cornstarch
1/8 tsp. salt

Cream butter and sugar together (about two min) with electric mixer.
Beat in vanilla.
In a smaller bowl whisk flour, cornstarch and salt.
Gradually add this to the butter mixture until just incorporated.
Let chill for 1 hour.

Divide into 32 balls. Press up the sides of a mini pie tin (with cupcake cups or in a greased tin).
Freeze for 10 minutes until firm.
Bake at 325 degrees for 18-20 minutes. You will need to poke down with a fork atleast 1-2 times halfway through to keep the indentation! It will puff up in the center and there will be no where for the pudding to go if you don't keep making the indentation. I finally used a mini spoon to make the center empty after it kept filling in.


Homemade Chocolate Filling


I halved this recipe and still had extras. You may want to third it if you are only making the pie-lettes. However, you could make it all and use the rest of pudding or a chocolate pie.

1 c sugar
1/2 c. flour
3 egg yolks
1/3 c. cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 c. milk

Combine sugar, flour, salt and cocoa in a saucepan and mix.
Add 1/2 c. milk and egg yolks and beat.
Pour in remaining milk.
Mix and heat on low until thick- stir constantly! (I left mine alone for a few min. and it started to clump.)
Add vanilla and mix.
Cool before using.

Assemble by piping cooled filling into cooled shortbread cookie pie. Top with whipped cream and whatever topping you'd like- I used cocoa powder.


1 comment: