Monday, February 15, 2010

Waffles with Strawberry Compote

9 o'clock church does not lend itself to making a good breakfast. Instead, I made Brad a Valentine's breakfast today. (Why is it that on a holiday we are up and ready for the day by 8 but on Sunday it is always a rush? Does that make sense to anyone else?)

I made waffles with strawberry compote and fresh whipped cream. It was delicious!

For the waffles I just used a Belgian waffle mix. A good one, but still a mix.

I got this recipe off of Bloom. Taylor used mixed berries, but I just used strawberries. (Side note: if you've never had Taylor cook for you, you are missing out! Mmm...)

Here is the recipe:
1 heaping cup frozen berries
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Combine in a small saucepan. Cook on low/medium for 20 minutes. Check frequently to make sure there is enough water. If it gets too thick, add more water.

I used just strawberries. Next time I would at least double the recipe-we like lots of strawberries on our waffles! I would also use less lemon juice. I think the lemon juice is a good amount for mixed berries, but it made just the strawberries taste a little like raspberries. I also put the compote in an ice bath to cool it down quickly.

Here's the result:

It was so good! And the fresh whipped cream really gave it that extra umph!

No comments:

Post a Comment