Thursday, April 8, 2010

Homemade Flour Tortillas

I've been looking for a recipe for a long time. I finally found one in my cook book from Basic Food Prep in college. That was a fun class. Anyway. here is the recipe:


2 cups flour
3/4 t. salt
3/4 t. baking powder
2 T. vegetable oil
1/2 c. hot water (120-140 degrees F)

Combine dry ingredients. Add oil and work with hands until oil particles are dispersed.


Add water, stirring with hands to make a soft dough. Divide into 1” balls.




Flatten, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand for 10 minutes. Roll on floured surface until very thin and 10-12” in diameter. Cook on ungreased frying pan or griddle over medium heat until brown spots appear, about 30 seconds. Repeat on other side.





I like this recipe for cafe rio-esque salads. I feel like the tortillas were a little too dry to actually use them like regular tortillas. Maybe if I added more water? But they are SUPER easy to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment