Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Toy Chest, part 1

I've been itching to do a big project for a little while now. We don't have a dresser, so I was hoping to find a dresser to refinish. (Do I have experience refinishing furniture, you might ask? Well the answer is absolutely not! Start with a dresser? Why not?!) I stopped at a yard sale the other day and they had a toy chest for $5! I thought, "Perfect! This is way less intimidating, equally needed, will fulfill my itch for a big project, AND is only $5!" So I snatched it up!

Here are some before pictures. As you may or may not be able to tell, it needs a little TLC. BUT, just a little! It was pretty dirty. It still needs a little cleaning. And I hope Kaitlyn doesn't mind that her autograph is gone.

I think we are going to make it blue. I would like to do some sort of applique-ish something on it so it's not too plain. Any ideas? There are six panels on the front-I could do Elinor and Johnny's names and add as we go. Or some sort of picture? Seriously, any ideas?






Here's a "during" picture. And my hand is not deformed-just in an awkward position.


Last night I got the lid and front sanded. I have white paint dust everywhere (and I mean everywhere!).

Leave some suggestions! I'll post my progress!

2 comments:

  1. Check Martha Stuart's decoupage for some fun ideas!
    -Jacque

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jacque! Why didn't I think of good old Martha? I now have an idea and am SO excited. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete